Update 10 January 2020 – The circus continues… No further plans until there is “stability” ito this Covid saga. Event organizers allover had to pull the plug on various events, time and again… A sad and true story.
There’s not much more we can share with you at this stage…
DATE: To be confirmed.
- 16km – Senior, Vet, Masters – Male / female categories
- 42km – Senior, Vet, Masters – Male / female categories
OORLOGSKLOOF – NATURES INSPIRATION:
Total altitude gain over 42km = 1500m
Deep gorges, cliffs, cracks under the mountain, plateaus covered in stands of Cape Sugar bush and large Waboom trees, massive rock pillars, caverns, rock arches, Hyracidium [Crystallised Dassie – Rock Hyrax – urine] as old as 400 000 years, ancient rock art, moon-crater like sandstone rock slabs etc. A Magnificent Wilderness. Rich in history.
The run routes follows a combination of hiking trails. The variety is simply relentless with pristine beauty to match.
Names like Draaikraal, Granaatdraai, Donkiestasie, Arrie se Punt, Pramkoppie and numerous others marks areas of significance including ancient burial sites on route. There are plenty natural rock shelters along the route. Cell phone reception is sketchy and mainly on the South and East side of Oorlogskloof – from around the halfway mark to the finish but only on high lying areas.
Many decades ago, the pioneer farmers in the area used donkeys to transport Rooibos Tea from the mountains to lower ground. When they left, they also left their donkeys behind. These have now become wild and runners might well spot 2 or more in the area between Doltuin and Granaatdraai. A rare sighting is that of the Red Rock Rabbit up on the plateau. 2-3 herds of Cape Mountain Zebra prevail, especially in the Pramkoppie and Brakwater areas.
The area is described and listed as “pristine” and runners will – in every sense – experience a unique adventure!
CATERING FOR NON RUNNERS
We can cater for non-runners – you can choose the options when you enter online.
R650.00 pp incl permits plus 2 nights camping and catering:
- Sat morning coffee, rusks and cereal/oats,
- Saturday lunch potjie,
- Saturday dinner braai,
- Sunday farm style breakfast.
- if you have your own place to stay/accommodation outside of the reserve
R470.00 pp incl permits plus catering – as above
Children under 7 years stay free.
SOLO 42KM ENTRY
If you would like to do the 42km and have not done this event before, please let us know what similar, remote, wilderness type trail runs you’ve done in the last 3 years. If you’ve already run any of the Oorlogskloof runs above 5km, you would qualify automatically. email@example.com
- Sky run
- Addo 60/100
- Cederberg 40km-160km
- Wartrail – the trail running section of it
- Berg & Beach – 30km mountain section
- Hobbit 100
- Augrabies Extreme
- Adventure racer types/expeditionary types of sorts could also qualify
There are several others – If you are unsure, drop Uge an email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Map and profiles at the bottom of this page
Limited pre entries only.
- 42km – R1650.00 per person. Staying at Groot Tuin and incl catering.
- 42km – R1220.00 per person if you source your own accommodation. Catering still included at Groot Tuin.
- 16km – R1190.00 per person. Staying at Groot Tuin and incl catering.
- 16km – R980.00 per person if you source your own accommodation. Catering still included at Groot Tuin.
WHAT YOU RECEIVE FOR YOUR ENTRY:
With your entry for the run or for those extra catering folk, the reserve permit is included.
Please note that there are limited “hut” sleeping space – about 20 people [The huts have mattresses] and the reserve can only sleep 120 people in total. First comes first serve basis. There is also additional accommodation in the Nieuwoudtville area. See at bottom of this email.
- 2 nights camping accommodation – Friday and Saturday eve. [bring your own tent, sleeping bag, pillow, head torch and towel] There are 6 x 3 man tents erected and available for the long distance travelers/flying in.
- Light breakfast on Saturday/run day – Coffee/tea/rusks/oats on the morning of the run
- Lunch – Karoo Lamb or vegetarian potjie as you cross the finish line – for some it will be a mid-day lunch and for others a mid-afternoon lunch and for a few others – dinner…
- Finish line – Tailwind Nutrition and chilled water
- Dinner – Braai with salads and freshly baked bread
- Breakfast on Sunday – Farm style breakfast [Bacon, eggs etc]
- An Adventure Run experience second to none
- a Large boma styled fire at the enclosed lapa area. NO FIRES ALLOWED ANY OTHER PLACE
- Spending time with like-minded folk.
- Reserve permits. With your entry for the run or for those extra catering folk, the reserve permit is included.
- A branded race cap. Please help us by entering early.
RACE START TIMES:
- 42km – 07h00
- 16km trail run – 07h30
- 5km fun run/walk – 07h45
START/FINISH: Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve – Groot Tuin Camp
RACE RULES: Please adhere to this as we do stringent kit checks before you start your run.
Please take careful note of these T’s & C’s and compulsory gear below is not negotiable
- Runners must be self-sufficient and carry enough water and food to sustain them for the entire route. We will point out at what distances on the run you will find mountain/stream/fountain water
- carry a cell phone
- Mini first aid kit – You must be able to cover ankle twist/sprains/torn ligaments/head injuries/bruises/cuts/insect and spider bites/abrasions etc.
- Carry an “emergency blanket” AKA space blanket.
- Carry a 100% “water proof” rain jacket WITH hood and long sleeves. The weather here is “unpredictable”
- Head torch.
- Long sleeve base layer. If it is cold weather bring a “fleece top”
- Runners must have a policy in place that will cover them in case of evacuation by air from the mountain to hospital etc. The area is remote and inaccessible by vehicle in most parts!
- If you have any adverse health condition – do not run.
This is especially people with high blood pressure, heart conditions, lung conditions, flu etc… If you’re a diabetic, asthma sufferer etc. – ensure you take your required medication along. This also goes for people allergic to various bites, stings etc. – carry anti histamine tablets for this.
- Carry a card with all your medical details on it such a Doctor’s telephone number, Medical insurance number, emergency telephone number and contact name, blood group, any allergies etc. This must be inside a sealed Ziploc bag and on your person.
- Each person must save this cell number on their phone – 082 658 3078 [Ugene Nel] for “emergency” use only. Reception is poor though!
- Do not take short cuts.
Drinking water can be obtained from the Oorlogskloof River, springs and seasonal water in rock pools on the mountain. We will brief you beforehand re the water availability.
CANCELLATIONS / SUBSTITUTIONS:
Cancellations: Entry fees will only be refunded if a medical certificate for illness or injury can be provided and you cannot partake. This is valid until the 20 April 2020 – thereafter the cost of catering and reserve permits will be deducted from the refundable fee. In this case, you may also use your entry fee as a credit for any of our other runs in 2020.
Substitutions: An admin fee of R150.00 will be charged for substitutions – subs close on 25 April 2020
We helped the Reserve build “donkeys” for hot water and a functional venue, several years ago. There are currently 6 showers – 3 male/female and pleased to hear that the other ablutions are now being revamped flush toilets and extra showers and basins… Will keep you informed re this.
Nieuwoudtville is 349km from Cape Town and it has numerous awesome accommodation options. A place worth checking out is www.papkuilsfontein.co.za OR you can contact Joey in town who also has lekker accommodation in town – 0827737034. She also happens to be the lady who [with her Crew] makes all the awesome food every year!
Nieuwoudtville is 349km from Cape Town.
Directions to GROOT TUIN from Nieuwoudtville – Drive West after leaving town on the R27 for 6km. There is a sign board for Oorlogskloof Nature Reserve.
31°22’17.13″S and 19° 2’27.73″E
Stay on the dirt road for another 10km. You will go through a few gates to get here – Groot Tuin. 31°26’38.07″S and 19° 4’13.68″E
ACCOMMODATION OPTIONS IN AND AROUND NIEUWOUDTVILLE
- De Lande & Papkuilsfontein 0272181246 email@example.com B&B&D/SC
- Elandsvoetpad 0836456446 firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Gannabos 0272181249 0871508101 email@example.com B&B/SC
- Swissvilla 0272181347 0729517064 firstname.lastname@example.org B&B/SC
- Brandkop 0272181254 0836353147 email@example.com SC
- Cloudskraal 0272181363 0731665972 firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Die 1897 Nedersetting 0272181897 0824967875 email@example.com B&B&D
- Groenrivier 0272181265 0836669905 firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Hantamsdrift 0274822807 email@example.com SC
- Kliprivier & Kraaifontein 0272181204 0825343922 firstname.lastname@example.org B&B/SC
- Rooidakhuis 0272181897 0824967875 email@example.com B&B&D
- Uncle Tony’s Cabin 0836098448 firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Vinknes 0272181289 email@example.com SC
- A La Belle Etoile 0272181274 0843619982 firstname.lastname@example.org B&B
- Boereplaas B&B 0272181024 0827847449 email@example.com B&B
- Elmarie’s self catering flats 0272181226 0832347503 firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Grasberg Gasteplaas 0272181228 0837722918 email@example.com SC
- Kromvlei 0272181379 0832385658 firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Willemsrivier 0272181000 0834505939 email@example.com SC
- Kokerboom cottages 0272181405 0836931007 firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Sonweelde 0272181338 0839482669 B&B
- Bokmakierie 0781619369 email@example.com SC
- Mi Cassa 0824190927 0832678015 d firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Garsland Plaashuis 0835772035 email@example.com SC
- Debbie’s Self catering 0837291501 firstname.lastname@example.org SC
- Groenrivier Campsite 0836669905 email@example.com Campsite
- Papkuilsfontein Campsite 0272181246 firstname.lastname@example.org Campsite
- Die Waenhuis 0270500457 email@example.com Eetplek