ENTRIES are open
- For EFT via Payfast payments, running both days – ENTER HERE
- For credit card payments, running both days – ENTER HERE
- For EFT payments, running either day 1 or day 2 – ENTER HERE
- For credit card payments, running either day 1 or day 2 – ENTER HERE
ENTRIES WILL CLOSE 10 JUNE
Please book accommodation early for 2017!
180 entries available.
Only entries received prior to 3 June will be eligible for the branded travel mug – included in the entry fee.
A magical 2 day trail run in the exquisite Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve & Conservancy, 22km from Heidelberg in the Cape, highly rated by seasoned trail runners.
Mountain trails lead you through a fairyland of indigenous forests; giant Redwood tree forest; endemic fynbos and lush river valleys and streams. Rated as fairly strenuous with 95% single track with a great variety of terrain.
Undulating climbs, reaching mountain ridges with views towards Barrydale and winding back down into lush valleys and kloofs where you can quench your thirst in the pure sweet mountain water on route.
This reserve is one of 8 World Heritage Sites with a highly protected fragile eco system; protected by Cape Nature and the Boosmansbos Conservancy. The name Boosmansbos is derived from that of an angry hermit who lived in the forest in the early 19th century. Boosmansbos was proclaimed a Wilderness Area in 1978 and has managed to maintain and protect its natural system and pristine environment. A percentage of the fees from this event is put back into the Conservancy for alien vegetation management.
Distances CHOICES :
- Day one (Sat 18 June ] – 32km 1270m altitude gain. Average runner to complete in 4 hours
- Day two (Sun 19 June) – 22km 900m altitude gain. Average runner to complete in 3 hours. Incredible forests and river valleys
- Both days 55km
Categories for BOTH day runners
- Senior Male 18-39yrs
- Senior Female 18-39yrs
- Vet Male 40+
- Vet Female 40+
- Masters Male +50
- Masters Female +50
Categories for ONE day runners
- Open Male
- Open Female
Registration at Honeywood Farm
Friday, 30 June 6pm until 9 pm or Saturday morning 6h30 until 7h30 , Sunday 6h30 until 7h30
Day 1 Race briefing at the start line at the Reserve gate at 8h15. Race start 8h30 from the Reserve gate – 2km from Honeywood Farm.
Day 2 Race briefing 8h15 at Honeywood Farm in the hall. Race start 8h30 from Honeywood Farm and also finish there again.
Prize giving :
Prize giving and prize giving lunch – Sunday, 2 July approximately 1pm latest. Great lucky draw prizes. You have to be there,for a chance to win…
ENTRY FEE – Unchanged from 2016
BOTH DAYS: R1220 per person [incl prizing giving lunch]
- DAY 1 ONLY: R 680 per person [incl prize giving lunch]
- DAY 2 ONLY – R 680 per person [inc prize giving lunch]
Included in the entry package:
- Branded, race mug – only for the runners entered/paid before 3 June 2016 as they have to be ordered and printed
- CNC Reserve and GVB Conservancy permit fees
- Finish line drinks – both days
- Sunday lunch
- Finishers medal
- Lucky draw prizes
CATERING : please note that optional Saturday night and non-runners meals have to be pre booked – no additional catering can be ordered on the weekend
- Saturday lunch – egg bacon rolls can be bought at the venue – available from approx 11h00 onwards
- Saturday dinner – Traditional braai. Optional at R120.00pp
- Sunday Lunch – potjie – vegetarian / meat with breads and dessert.
- Sunday lunch – included in race fee
- Free coffee/tea/hot chocolate at race village – self service. All weekend. Please bring a mug
- Beverages / beers – bring your own (no bar facilities)
Non runners can be included in the catering as above at R120 pp / per meal (Saturday dinner / Sunday lunch). Option available on your entry form
June/july weather in this region is generally dry, cold during the night and warm during the day but unpredictable…
Entry requirements :
Participants have to be trail running fit, carry the stipulated equipment and be over the age of 18.
Essential for every runner to bring to venue event :
Cell phone – please save the numbers of the event organizer & sweepers on route which will be available at registration
At least 1.5L water
Antihistamine tablets/mini first aid kit/anti inflamotory tablets
Plasters & bandage
Tights and long sleeve base layer/fleece top
Wind shell or waterproof jacket with hood and long sleeves – ALWAYS COMPULSORY ON DAY 1
Medical aid details
Please note that due to altitude the weather conditions are unpredictable. You must ensure that you are fully prepared.
Entries are only refundable if a valid medical certificate is provided for an injury or illness that wont allow you to partake. This is valid until the 20 June thereafter catering costs will be taken off the refundable amount.
Substitutions are allowed, admin cost thereof will be R120. Subs allowed till 25 June 2016.
Water Points on route:
Mountain streams with drinkable water available on route.
Accommodation situated close to the Reserve
Please arrange and book your own accommodation
Self- catering, B & B’s, Nature Reserve cottages, camping situated close to the reserve
http://www.capenature.co.za/ Self catering cottage for 8 pax, camp sites, available in Grootvadersbosch nature reserve
* Brackenhills Farm, next to Grootvadersbosch – 3 fully equipped double units – Phone Simon and Lee Neville on 0832327657 or 0834338728 – www.brackenhills.com
* Aan de Kanal Oppie Hoek B&B
* Arista Cottage
* Big Cob Chalets
* The Blue House
* De Heidel
* Diepkloof River Lodge
* Melkboom Guest House
* Oppie Hoek B&B
* Ouma’s Villa
* Rusthoff Guest House
* Struisvogel B&B
* The Bungalow
* The Gables
* The River Cottage B&B
* Uncle Happy’s B&B
* Willowtree Cottage
* Xairu B&B
Camping and Caravaning
* Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve
* Anna’s Farm B&B
* Honeywood Farm
* Mon Desir Game Farm
* Skeiding Guest Farm
* Struisvogel Guest Farm
* Carol Alexander – Cantate Homestay
* Helen Hendricks – Helen’s Homestay
* Lizomien Joseph – Betanie Homestay
* Lisa Joubert – Maranata Homestay
Contact person: Carol Alexander
* Heidelberg Hotel
Directions to Honeywood farm – THIS IS THE START AND FINISH VENUE ON BOTH DAYS.
From Cape Town
* Take N2 towards Swellendam
* Pass Swellendam
* Turn left onto R324 Suurbraak / Barrydale
* Travel through Suurbraak
* Road becomes R322 (Heidelberg)
* Follow R322 for approximately another 22km, following Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve signs. Honeywood farm on the left about 1km before the Reserve entrance.
From Mossel Bay
* From the N2, turn right onto R322, Barrydale
* Follow the road for 18km until you reach a fork in the road
* Veer right, following the Grootvadersbosch Nature Reserve signs. Honeywood farm on the left about 1km before the Reserve entrance.
Rules & Regulations
* Emergency contact details will be given to each runner which must be kept with you on route
* Every runner must carry a card on route with their own personal contact details, medical aid details, blood group, emergency contact details, doctor etc
* Mountain rescue will be informed of the event and a medical doctor will be on standby
* Should you encounter an emergency and / or injured runner on route, please assist them and contact one of the emergency numbers on your race pack or the closest marshal
* All persons entering the races will only be allowed to partake if the indemnity form is signed and you are fully aware that partaking in these events is done so entirely at your own risk. The organizing bodies/employees/agents or any other persons/organizations/establishments or other personnel involved with the event shall not be liable for any damage, loss, theft, injury, accident or death suffered by any person, howsoever caused, prior to the event, during the event or after the event.
* Medical aid details of all entrants must be given to the organizing body prior to the event.
* In the event of a medical emergency, the organizing bodies/authorities will use their discretion and follow procedures deemed necessary for evacuation and /or medical assistance thereof.
* Due to unforeseen circumstances or severe weather conditions, the organizer/s may be entitled to cancel the event/s at any given time. The event/s may or may not be postponed to another date.
* In the event of cancellation of any event/s, cancellation fees will not be refundable.
* Stick to the existing trails and do not take shortcuts
* Do not tamper with the vegetation or stray off the trail
* Do not litter. Please protect our sensitive land
* No pets allowed on the route
* It is your responsibility to find parking prior to the race
* The races will be timed
* Entries are only confirmed once proof of payment is received. Payment to be made before entry dates close.
Routes and profiles
DAY 2 – Blue section